RE: [ga] ICM cross-registry WHOIS database

  • To: "Danny Younger" <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>, "Nevett, Jonathon" <jnevett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] ICM cross-registry WHOIS database
  • From: "Dominik Filipp" <dominik.filipp@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 18:48:08 +0100
  • Cc: <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Danny,

I personally guess this point is just stressing of the standard
paragraph 3.3.4 in RAA (Registrar Accreditation Agreement,
http://www.icann.org/registrars/ra-agreement-17may01.htm#3) to ensure
WHOIS (or domain availability) searching capabilities across registrars,
much like other registrars are already compliant with regardless of TLDs
they support. I don't think it's about establishing a brand new
database. Anyway, we already have something like that embodied in the
existing InterNIC database. But, of course, it should be verified.

By the way, as regards the mentioned paragraph 3.3.4 in RAA, I have
noticed that the cross-registrar domain information availability is a
mandatory requirement for registrars as written in RAA. The NAMEKING.COM
registrar, currently the master-taster of the week with almost 20%
domains over all domains registered at GoDaddy
(http://www.webhosting.info), is running a dummy web site with all links
utter garbage. Just hover the mouse cursor over the links and see the
dummy references in the IE status bar. Needless to say, the WHOIS
capability is inaccessible at all. In my opinion this is a breach of the
RAA agreement and another warning letter should promptly go there.

Dominik