Re: [ga] ICM cross-registry WHOIS database

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] ICM cross-registry WHOIS database
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 09:18:47 -0800 (PST)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Eric,

My suspicion is that members of the IPC had a private
deal-making session with the ICM Registry.  This is
most likely why we are now seeing clauses pertaining
to both a searchable WHOIS system and to DMCA-style
take-down provisions.

Rather than debating these issues in a forthright
manner with their peers in the GNSO stakeholder
communities, I suspect that IPC members have chosen a
path to back-door these initiatives in the hope of
establishing a precedent that can be carried forward.

It's sad that in the desperate quest to obtain a TLD,
Stuart Lawley's ICM Registry has found it necessary to
cave in to the forces of trademark-uber-alles.

--- Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Danny,
>
>   It seems that regardless of who runs it, it is
> just another chink in the armor of privacy.
>
>   Eric
>
> Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>   Jon,
>
> What's your view of the following clause in ICM's
> Appendix S?
>
> "Registrars will be required to participate in the
> operation of a cross-registry WHOIS database, which
> will provide searching capabilities and access to
> all
> information concerning domain name registrations
> regardless of which TLD the domain name is
> registered in or which registrar processed the
> domain
> name application."
>
> Who is providing this cross-registry database? Is
> this an ICANN project or an ICM initiative?
> Presumably this is something different than
> VeriSign's
> Centralized WHOIS.

> The fish are biting.
> Get more visitors on your site using Yahoo! Search
> Marketing.

> Need Mail bonding?
> Go to the Yahoo! Mail Q&A for great tips from Yahoo!
> Answers users.

Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate
in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.