Re: [ga] ICM cross-registry WHOIS database

On 18:18 06/03/2007, Danny Younger said:
Eric,
My suspicion is that members of the IPC had a private
deal-making session with the ICM Registry.  This is
most likely why we are now seeing clauses pertaining
to both a searchable WHOIS system and to DMCA-style
take-down provisions.

Rather than debating these issues in a forthright
manner with their peers in the GNSO stakeholder
communities, I suspect that IPC members have chosen a
path to back-door these initiatives in the hope of
establishing a precedent that can be carried forward.

It's sad that in the desperate quest to obtain a TLD,
Stuart Lawley's ICM Registry has found it necessary to
cave in to the forces of trademark-uber-alles.

Your guess seems likely. De(facto)centralisation, limited TLD number, RSSC, IPv6 design, etc. are the same problem: managing the globality as if it was a private dominion for a few interests. There is no plot here. There will be many other occurrences. This is just the natural ecology of the concentration system they designed.
jfc