Re: [ga] ICM cross-registry WHOIS database

  • To: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] ICM cross-registry WHOIS database
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 14:05:39 -0800 (PST)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I am afraid that this may well be the basis of a lawsuit.  When the intrusions become to aggregious it lends itself  to contingency type lawyers. And privacy rights just may have enough juice to them to warrant a sizeable verdict, making that contingency worthwhile.
  All we need see is one case with serious injuries and the house of cards will have to pay up for playing fast and lose with my privacy rights and registrants rights.

  Eric

Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Eric,

My suspicion is that members of the IPC had a private
deal-making session with the ICM Registry. This is
most likely why we are now seeing clauses pertaining
to both a searchable WHOIS system and to DMCA-style
take-down provisions.

Rather than debating these issues in a forthright
manner with their peers in the GNSO stakeholder
communities, I suspect that IPC members have chosen a
path to back-door these initiatives in the hope of
establishing a precedent that can be carried forward.

It's sad that in the desperate quest to obtain a TLD,
Stuart Lawley's ICM Registry has found it necessary to
cave in to the forces of trademark-uber-alles.

--- Hugh Dierker wrote:

> Danny,
>
> It seems that regardless of who runs it, it is
> just another chink in the armor of privacy.
>
> Eric
>
> Danny Younger wrote:
> Jon,
>
> What's your view of the following clause in ICM's
> Appendix S?
>
> "Registrars will be required to participate in the
> operation of a cross-registry WHOIS database, which
> will provide searching capabilities and access to
> all
> information concerning domain name registrations
> regardless of which TLD the domain name is
> registered in or which registrar processed the
> domain
> name application."
>
> Who is providing this cross-registry database? Is
> this an ICANN project or an ICM initiative?
> Presumably this is something different than
> VeriSign's
> Centralized WHOIS.

> The fish are biting.
> Get more visitors on your site using Yahoo! Search
> Marketing.

> Need Mail bonding?
> Go to the Yahoo! Mail Q&A for great tips from Yahoo!
> Answers users.

Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate
in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.