[ga] More thoughts on a Registrants Constituency

I've had a couple of more thoughts on what I think is a sub-optimal idea, a constituency for domain name registrants. (The optimal solution is to allow individuals to have the direct vote for board members. These are not mutually exclusive ideas.)

Anyway, the question is how much of a vote does each domain name registratrant get?

Is it one vote per person/organization no matter how many names they have.

Or is it scaled according to the number of names.

Is that scale linear, i.e. twice as many names gives twice as many votes?

Is there a factor for the time that the name has been registered? I feel that this is important because it is indicative of how much the registrant has invested into the name. Those who have had names for many years tend to have a much greater investment than those who hold portfolios for short term speculation.

So I suggest this - that the number of votes a registrant gets for having a name is scaled according to a simple formula based on the number of years that have elapsed since initially registered. Of course, during the first year, that number would be zero.

So the formula I suggest is this, where Y is the number of years that have elapsed since registration.

  Votes = 2**(Y-1)
  (i.e. the number of votes is 2 raised to the power Y less one)

Thus the registrant would get votes according to the following table:

 YEARS     VOTES
     0     0
     1     1
     2     2
     3     4

etc.

This means that one has to hold a name for at least a year in order to get a vote.

By-way-of disclosure, I have several names that were initially registered during the 1980's, but whois doesn't go back that far and shows 'em as 1994.

		--karl--