[ga] RE: Registrants Constituency

  • To: "'Danny Younger'" <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] RE: Registrants Constituency
  • From: "Roberto Gaetano" <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 23:47:21 +0100
  • Cc: <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Danny,

I mean two things.

On one hand, the voice of the registrants in the GNSO (and I want to stress
"registrants" vs. "users", simply because past experience has shown that
"individual users" will not fly).
There is now a debate, that I believe will become intense in Lisbon, about
the GNSO review. I assume you all are familiar with the LSE report, and
there is a serious criticism in the way users at large are represented. This
includes the representativity criteria of some constituencies, and proposals
to revise the constituency system.
All considered, I am really sorry for the individual registrants that are
suffering damages because of the Registerfly case, but maybe this situation
at this moment can help building the case for a different representation
mechanism.

On the other hand, I have to say loud and clear that I do not see the
primary function of a registrants constituency as being a "consumer
protection body". The constituency could, and should, discuss about
policies, but the consumer protection is a different thing, it implies to
bring the cases to the public opinion, and to advocate for the consumer
rights. I do believe that this is better done in the same way that consumer
protection is done in all other fields: with ad-hoc organizations that
operate in the marketplace. The problem is that a lot of consumer protection
organizations that I have contacted about 2-3 years ago, in the framework of
participation to ALAC as ALSes, have replied that consumers have bigger
problems than domain names registration. I do believe that times are
changing, and consumer protection agencies are becoming more aware that the
loss of a domain name is not just a matter of a few bucks, but a matter of
life or death of the business, so I am confident that over time we will
achieve something in this direction as well.

Cheers,
Roberto