Re: [ga]Part II of: RE: Registrants Constituency

  • To: Roberto Gaetano <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga]Part II of: RE: Registrants Constituency
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 01 Mar 1981 10:47:41 -0800
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>, icann staff <icann-staff@xxxxxxxxx>, Kathy Smith <KSMITH@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Roberto and all,

  I can see a senerio where a truly open users constituency
and/or At Large where any and all willing users may become
members if they so choose, within the ICANN structure,
if they have either 2 reserved seats on the ICANN Bod
or can as one user, one vote, cast a ballot for any Bod
member from their region of the world.

Users and Registrants for obvious reasons, should have
been, and should be, the primary driving force as well
as determanent factor bodies for ALL ICANN policy,
practice, and contract terms for registries and registrars,
ect...  Had such been the case in ICANN's early development,
many of the serious problems with registrars such as
GoDaddy, RegistryFly, ect., would have never occured,
or had been corrected in short order and likely in much
more amicable ways.

 Alas, this ICANN Bod/staff as with previous ones
clear back to the Interim ICANN Bod have failed
to recognize this common wisdom...

Roberto Gaetano wrote:

> Danny,
>
> I mean two things.
>
> On one hand, the voice of the registrants in the GNSO (and I want to stress
> "registrants" vs. "users", simply because past experience has shown that
> "individual users" will not fly).
> There is now a debate, that I believe will become intense in Lisbon, about
> the GNSO review. I assume you all are familiar with the LSE report, and
> there is a serious criticism in the way users at large are represented. This
> includes the representativity criteria of some constituencies, and proposals
> to revise the constituency system.
> All considered, I am really sorry for the individual registrants that are
> suffering damages because of the Registerfly case, but maybe this situation
> at this moment can help building the case for a different representation
> mechanism.
>
> On the other hand, I have to say loud and clear that I do not see the
> primary function of a registrants constituency as being a "consumer
> protection body". The constituency could, and should, discuss about
> policies, but the consumer protection is a different thing, it implies to
> bring the cases to the public opinion, and to advocate for the consumer
> rights. I do believe that this is better done in the same way that consumer
> protection is done in all other fields: with ad-hoc organizations that
> operate in the marketplace. The problem is that a lot of consumer protection
> organizations that I have contacted about 2-3 years ago, in the framework of
> participation to ALAC as ALSes, have replied that consumers have bigger
> problems than domain names registration. I do believe that times are
> changing, and consumer protection agencies are becoming more aware that the
> loss of a domain name is not just a matter of a few bucks, but a matter of
> life or death of the business, so I am confident that over time we will
> achieve something in this direction as well.
>
> Cheers,
> Roberto

"Obediance of the law is the greatest freedom" -
   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827