Re: [ga] RE: Registrants Constituency

  • To: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] RE: Registrants Constituency
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 01 Mar 1981 10:25:17 -0800
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>, icann staff <icann-staff@xxxxxxxxx>, Kathy Smith <KSMITH@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Danny and all,

  Sorry Danny, but it is either bottom up or top down.
There is no rational or logical " between"...  And yes,
Roberto as well as other ICANN Bod members are
well aware that registrant representation is very long
over due.  And had and has it not been for registrants
being aggressive, such consideration or discussion
of registrant representation would have remained
unaddressed or ignored...

  As I and most of our members and affiliates are
strong believers in the KISS method,  a simple
registrant representation model is sufficient, i.e.
one registrant, one vote and two seats of the
ICANN Bod.  Any and every registrant, regardless
of how many domain names he/she or it has registered
has only one vote and ALL registrants without any
incumbance of any sort can become if they choose,
a member of a "Registrant Constituency" as a
registrant.

  Now isn't this simple, fair and representative
in a bottom up fashion?

Danny Younger wrote:

> Roberto,
>
> My interest is in pursuing a globally representative
> GNSO Registrant Constituency wherein DNS policies are
> discussed and through which the ability of the GNSO to
> carry out its policy-development responsibilities is
> necessarily enhanced.
>
> The times indeed are changing and a seat at the table
> for the registrant community is long overdue.
>
> The bylaws currently offer three ways to progress this
> issue:
>
> (1) By petition to the Board to establish such a
> constituency
> (2) By Board fiat on its own motion, if it determines
> that such action would serve the purposes of ICANN
> (3) Through a revision of the structure or operation
> of the parts of ICANN under Periodic Review by a
> two-thirds vote of all members of the Board.
>
> This set of choices necessarily raises the classic
> bottom-up or top-down debate.
>
> I believe that I speak for many when I say that there
> has long been bottom-up support for such a
> constituency initiative.
>
> On the other hand, prior to rushing into a pure
> bottom-up driven solution, fairness dictates that we
> give the Board Governance Committee the opportunity
> via the GNSO Review Process to outline its own vision
> of a proper model.
>
> With that said, it would be appreciated if the Board
> would be willing to solicit the views of participants
> on this list in conjunction with the upcoming
> consultations on GNSO reform it has scheduled with the
> other GNSO stakeholder communities.
>
> Somewhere between pure bottom-up and pure top-down
> there is likely an amicable solution that we are all
> prepared to accept.
>
> Regards,
> Danny

> Don't pick lemons.
> http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html

   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827