Re: [ga] RE: Registrants Constituency

  • To: Roberto Gaetano <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] RE: Registrants Constituency
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 16:13:52 -0800 (PST)
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Roberto,

My interest is in pursuing a globally representative
GNSO Registrant Constituency wherein DNS policies are
discussed and through which the ability of the GNSO to
carry out its policy-development responsibilities is
necessarily enhanced.

The times indeed are changing and a seat at the table
for the registrant community is long overdue.

The bylaws currently offer three ways to progress this
issue:

(1) By petition to the Board to establish such a
constituency
(2) By Board fiat on its own motion, if it determines
that such action would serve the purposes of ICANN
(3) Through a revision of the structure or operation
of the parts of ICANN under Periodic Review by a
two-thirds vote of all members of the Board.

This set of choices necessarily raises the classic
bottom-up or top-down debate.

I believe that I speak for many when I say that there
has long been bottom-up support for such a
constituency initiative.

On the other hand, prior to rushing into a pure
bottom-up driven solution, fairness dictates that we
give the Board Governance Committee the opportunity
via the GNSO Review Process to outline its own vision
of a proper model.

With that said, it would be appreciated if the Board
would be willing to solicit the views of participants
on this list in conjunction with the upcoming
consultations on GNSO reform it has scheduled with the
other GNSO stakeholder communities.

Somewhere between pure bottom-up and pure top-down
there is likely an amicable solution that we are all
prepared to accept.

Regards,
Danny

Don't pick lemons.
See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.
http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html