Re: [ga] Registrants Constituency

  • To: "Danny Younger" <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>, "Roberto Gaetano" <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Registrants Constituency
  • From: "kidsearch" <kidsearch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 11:52:59 -0500
  • Cc: <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The only problem there is jurisdiction and empowerment. A consumer protection body would have to have the power to act against those who harm consumers. If ICANN is involved in the process of creating this consumer protection entity it will have no teeth at all. ICANN favors IP interests and corporations over the needs and rights of individuals, shown by their past history. These entities are the same that historically water down any attempts at consumer protection. They capture ICANN, which captures the entity that is supposed to protect consumers is a likely scenario.

A consumer protection agency for the Internet will be difficult to create. It needs to be done. I agree with you. But it needs to be done outside of ICANN. Now you come to jurisdiction. How many countries will give this entity juridiction over their business interests? WIPO did this task, but it was a task to protect business interests and governments are more likely to support something that does that rather than something to protect consumers. In a perfect world, the opposite would be true.

Once the GA has a chair, moderator, I would like to see a WG formed to discuss consumer protection and how that can be achieved on the Internet. This is a time commitment I am willing to make in participating in such a WG.

Chris McElroy aka NameCritic
http://www.articlecontentprovider.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Danny Younger" <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>