Re: [ga] Vint on proposed .biz, .info and .org agreements

  • To: <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Vint on proposed .biz, .info and .org agreements
  • From: "Prophet Partners Inc." <Domains@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 02:59:24 -0500
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello everyone,

First of all, we are not lawyers and are not offering any legal advice.
These are strictly our own personal opinions. Anyone reading this message
who requires legal advice should seek qualified legal counsel.

If the bottom-up consensus of the GNSO continues to be ignored by the ICANN
BoD and staffers, this timeline of events seems certain to be used as
evidence in either a DOJ RICO charge or a class action lawsuit against ICANN
and the registries.

We found the following definition of pattern of racketeering activity from
the Cornell Law School noteworthy.
http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00001961----000-.html
 "pattern of racketeering activity" requires at least two acts of
racketeering activity, one of which occurred after the effective date of
this chapter and the last of which occurred within ten years (excluding any
period of imprisonment) after the commission of a prior act of racketeering
activity"

Our interpretation is the new .com registry agreement could be the first act
of racketeering activity, with subsequent .biz/.info/.org registry
agreements considered as additional acts of racketeering activity.

The Cornell Law School also has a definition of what is considered
racketeering activity in connection with commerce, robbery or extortion.
http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00001951----000-.html

Will ICANN Directors give domain registrants the shaft by approving the
proposed .biz/.info/.org registry agreements and risk up to 20 years
imprisonment? Only time will tell.....

OT - For those in the U.S., have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Sincerely,
Ted
Prophet Partners Inc.
http://www.ProphetPartners.com