Re: [ga] Vint on proposed .biz, .info and .org agreements

  • To: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Vint on proposed .biz, .info and .org agreements
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 22:52:37 -0800
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Danny, Bret and all,

  Well Vint has taken over for deceased John Postel, and neither
of them really are nor ever were, "fathers of the internet".  As I
recall, Vint had trouble wiring his own huge new house which
had been speculated had been paid for from ill begotten gains
in his Worldcom/con days, for broad band.  I have some respect
for Vint's tcpip knowledge, but none for his management skills.

Danny Younger wrote:

> Bret's views on Vint's comment:
>
> source:
> http://forum.icann.org/lists/alac/msg02489.html
>
> This is vintage Vint. Here's the chronology....
>
> (a) The GNSO is so shocked and repulsed by the ICANN
> Staff's approval of the .COM contract that it
> initiates a policy development process in February,
> 2006 (PDP-Feb06) to formulate policy on things it
> thought it could take for granted -- price caps,
> rebids on renewal.
>
> (b) Seeing the coming train, the registries for INFO,
> BIZ and ORG decide that they need to get in and
> renegotiate their contracts before the PDP comes down.
> ICANN Staff, obligingly, provides them the same
> treatment, which is contrary to the coming policy
> advice from the GNSO.
>
> (c) One of the contracts, that for .ORG, was just
> awarded a couple of years ago and doesn't expire until
> years down the road, and yet, we now have an emergency
> renegotiation and term extension, before we've even
> seen PIR carry out a substantial period of its initial
> award term.
>
> (d) Against a GNSO resolution that ICANN wait until
> the GNSO PDP concludes -- and we've been working
> overtime to get it done ASAP -- Vint now tells us that
> he is not constrained by our request to wait.
>
> (e) To add insult to the substantial injury ICANN will
> do to registrants via these contracts, Vint now writes
> that the Board can disregard GNSO advice, even on
> matters directly within the umbra of the GNSO's
> authority, because it is simply one input into the
> Board.
>
> What makes it Vintage Vint is that, as ever, Vint
> knows best. He is the father of the Internet and his
> paternalism knows no bounds. We ought to simply
> dispense with the advisory committees and supporting
> organizations because, at the end of the day, Vint
> will simply do what he knows is the best thing.
>
>            Bret
>
> P.S. To make matters worse, ICANN Staff has
> purposefully impeded the GNSO's work in recent days in
> an effort to say that we're not on track for Sao
> Paulo. In concert, the registries have filibustered
> our conference calls in an attempt to delay our work.

> Sponsored Link
>
> Compare mortgage rates for today.
> Get up to 5 free quotes. www2.nextag.com

   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827