Re: [ga] Vint on proposed .biz, .info and .org agreements

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Vint on proposed .biz, .info and .org agreements
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 09:25:59 -0800 (PST)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Bret's views on Vint's comment:

source:
http://forum.icann.org/lists/alac/msg02489.html

This is vintage Vint. Here's the chronology....

(a) The GNSO is so shocked and repulsed by the ICANN
Staff's approval of the .COM contract that it
initiates a policy development process in February,
2006 (PDP-Feb06) to formulate policy on things it
thought it could take for granted -- price caps,
rebids on renewal.

(b) Seeing the coming train, the registries for INFO,
BIZ and ORG decide that they need to get in and
renegotiate their contracts before the PDP comes down.
ICANN Staff, obligingly, provides them the same
treatment, which is contrary to the coming policy
advice from the GNSO.

(c) One of the contracts, that for .ORG, was just
awarded a couple of years ago and doesn't expire until
years down the road, and yet, we now have an emergency
renegotiation and term extension, before we've even
seen PIR carry out a substantial period of its initial
award term.

(d) Against a GNSO resolution that ICANN wait until
the GNSO PDP concludes -- and we've been working
overtime to get it done ASAP -- Vint now tells us that
he is not constrained by our request to wait.

(e) To add insult to the substantial injury ICANN will
do to registrants via these contracts, Vint now writes
that the Board can disregard GNSO advice, even on
matters directly within the umbra of the GNSO's
authority, because it is simply one input into the
Board.

What makes it Vintage Vint is that, as ever, Vint
knows best. He is the father of the Internet and his
paternalism knows no bounds. We ought to simply
dispense with the advisory committees and supporting
organizations because, at the end of the day, Vint
will simply do what he knows is the best thing.

           Bret

P.S. To make matters worse, ICANN Staff has
purposefully impeded the GNSO's work in recent days in
an effort to say that we're not on track for Sao
Paulo. In concert, the registries have filibustered
our conference calls in an attempt to delay our work.

Sponsored Link

Compare mortgage rates for today.
Get up to 5 free quotes. www2.nextag.com