Re: [ga] Re: .vu CCTLD off the air

  • To: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@xxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Re: .vu CCTLD off the air
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 02:54:34 -0700
  • Cc: Andy Gardner <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, General Assembly of the DNSO <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Stephane and all,

Bureaucrats are well known for telling others what and how
to do something, without ever having done whatever themselves.
Making policy is indeed a good thing, as long as all policies
are not etched in stone.   Bureaucrats are aghast at such a
notion however.    Good policy is determined from the
bottom up, not the top down, and the lower level operational
policy and practice is determined and derived action is taken
the better usually.

ICANN never has worked this way and as a result, many
ccTLD's have had their management replaced by bureaucrats
whom would find it difficult to wipe their noses without
a policy document by which to follow blindly and written
at the 6th grade reading level in most cases.

Yet 6 or so years ago ccTLD's were technically more
reliable.

Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 08, 2005 at 11:40:26AM -0500,
>  Andy Gardner <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
>  a message of 50 lines which said:
>
> > 3 of the 4 authoritative servers for the vu ccTLD are in
> > Vanuatu. The other appears to be in California. I'm guessing that
> > the other one is set up as a slave and once the connection was down
> > long enough, the slave server curled up it's toes.
>
> This night, ".jm" disappeared too (it is now back but failures of
> ".jm" are very common). All the name servers are apparently on the
> island, which does not have perfect outside links.
>
> This is very surprising, giving that you can easily obtain a gratis
> and professionnal secondary name service.
>
> If ICANN had a monitoring of TLD, they could see the same but they
> prefer bureaucratic games to actual operational action.

"Obediance of the law is the greatest freedom" -
   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827