[ga] Sneak in! TR

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] Sneak in! TR
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 06:59:20 -0700 (PDT)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Here is a very telling interchange from ALAC.
I like how these folks do business on behalf of the at-large community.
This really sounds like a liason. My goodness what does a subversive agent do?
http://forum.icann.org/mail-archive/alac/msg00025.html

2003-02-18 10:59:28 -0800, Denise Michel wrote:

>    I think a more productive course of action is for Thomas, who
>    has served on the WHOIS Task Force for year(s) as the General
>    Assembly representative, to submit his detailed comments as
>    the GA representative, since they seem to reflect his
>    experiences and comments he's received on the former GA list.

It's not so much based on comments received on the GA list, but
rather on comments received by the WHOIS Task Force itself, on
discussions at ICANN meetings (with people across constituencies, by
the way), and so on...

>    If ALAC members feel strongly that a statement must be
>    submitted today,

Since I'm also wearing the hat of the WHOIS Task Force's formatting
slave, I can sneak in any text until noon tomorrow (East Coast
time)...  Deadline extended by 20 hours. ;-)

>      * ALAC members have not had time to get up to speed on this
>      issue, the Task Force's work, and "At-Large" WHOIS concerns,
>      and the ALAC is still developing its processes

I'd very much hope that any ALAC members who have a concern along
these lines can speak up for themselves...  If this point mirrors
the concerns of a significant part of the members of this Committee,
I'd be happy to post the comment as a personal one elsewhere.

>      * Thomas has just been designated as Task Force ALAC liaison

This is a problem for what reason, precisely?

>      * This draft is not an "impact statement", but rather report
>       comments. Developing an impact statement for individual
>       users is a very challenging process, given the vast
>       disparity of individual users of the Internet.

An "impact statement" is a very broad concept, and groups can use it
to roughly say what they want to say.  What this document does is to
discuss the impact on various classes of registrants, and to put
this into a broader context.  It also, in some places, gives
interpretations of the text.  While this is not a very narrow impact
statement, I think that it's still within the confines of what's
appropriate.