Re: [ga] European At Large meeting announcement (today)

Stephane and all former DNSO GA members or other interested
stakeholders/users,

Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 02:03:45PM -0800,
>  Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
>  a message of 87 lines which said:
>
> > > 2) Ensuring a free election campaign, giving that many Internet users
> > > are in countries without free speech.
> >
> >   These countries that do not have free speech are very few and getting
> > fewer.
>
> Good news. I wasn't aware that China is so small.

  It isn't small at all.  And China is slowly but surely moving
towards democracy in many areas...

> > > 3) Ensuring only one vote per user, giving that some human beings do
> > > not yet have a PGP key or a X509 certificate.
> >
> >   Why would a user need to have a PGP key or x509 cert to
> > vote necessarily?
>
> To authentify them, may be?

  Maybe, and maybe not.  PGP is not the only or even the most
preferred method, though I use it.  x509 is far out of date
and well known for lack of adequate security...

> >  Other forms of secure voting which have been
> > discussed many times on this very forum are in use today in
> > the international corp. world as well as the public sector.
>
> Many forms have been *discussed*. Nothing is ready yet.

  Ready for whom or what?  Many varied online voting
methods are in use today and have been sense at least
1996...

> > See:  Surevote.com for One such example...
>
> "This site requires the Macromedia Flash Plugin. " So, I was not able
> to check your claims.

  I don't have Macromedia Flash Plugin, and I had no trouble
accessing it.

> > > 4) Combining the secrecy of voting (unless you plan to drop it, which
> > > may be an option) with the ability to check the tallying (and not in
> > > the Florida way).
> >
> >   Florida used paper ballots which have historically been shown to
> > have very significant tally and count verification problems/nightmares.
> > Yet India, has gone to Evoting of late.
>
> See http://www.schneier.com/crypto-gram-0012.html#1 for a rebuttal of
> evoting and a good list of links.

  I have that link and have read it closely.  It is not broadly excepted
as having adequate or valid data.  Thankfully the govt. of India
recognized that clearly...

    Pierre Abelard
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 214-244-3801