Re: [ga] European At Large meeting announcement (today)

Stephany and all former DNSO GA members or other interested
stakeholders/users,

  Interesting comments.  The IRS to this day cannot authenticate
ICANN as a duly registered non-profit corp.  How than can
other such "Corporations" be duly and properly "Authenticated"
better or in a superior manner than any other stakeholder or
Domain name holder?

Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 11:52:44AM -0800,
>  Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
>  a message of 91 lines which said:
>
> > It is worth mentioning, that we are not asking for a totally direct
> > system, in which people vote on every issue, but rather a
> > representative system,
>
> I understood that. I mentioned the specific issue of "DNS wildcards in
> .com", not to imply that users should vote directly (like they do in
> some parts of Switzerland) but to give an idea of the issues that can
> be faced by users' representatives.
>
> > > 1) Defining the electing body. Should every human on earth vote,
> >
> > Some have said "every person who has registered a domain name."
>
> Of course, no, because it is an arbitrary restriction on the users. It
> also introduces a strong bias in favor of the corporate world.
>
> But is has one big advantage: the electing body is known and can be
> authentified.
>
> > Certainly technical knowledge ought not to be a prerequisite
>
> Of course. Parliament members do not need to be registered accountants
> to vote the budget of the State.
>
> > > 2) Ensuring a free election campaign, giving that many Internet users
> > > are in countries without free speech.
> >
> > Do we abandon democracy because it can't be universal?
>
> Nice statement. But, in practice, it means some countries (those with
> free speech) will be overrepresented.
>
> > > 3) Ensuring only one vote per user, giving that some human beings do
> > > not yet have a PGP key or a X509 certificate.
> >
> > Registration is indeed a problem.
>
> It is a problem even in elections without immediate and serious
> consequences (like on Usenet). Imagine if the users' elected
> representatives were the real source of power! Too much incentive for
> cheaters.
>
> > > 4) Combining the secrecy of voting (unless you plan to drop it, which
> > > may be an option) with the ability to check the tallying (and not in
> > > the Florida way).
> >
> > I'm not sure of your point here
>
> You have several ways to attack an election: the fraud can be
> organized by some of the voters (hence the transparent boxes or, on
> the Internet, the PKI) or it can be organized by the body in charge of
> the elections (hence the public opening and tallying of the
> votes). Imagine that ICANN announces that Mr. X was elected with xxx
> voices. How do you check that?

    Pierre Abelard
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 214-244-3801