Re: [ga] European At Large meeting announcement (today)

Stephane and all former DNSO GA members or other interested
stakeholders/users,

Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 10:58:42AM -0000,
>  Richard Henderson <richardhenderson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
>  a message of 50 lines which said:
>
> > What's wrong with simply letting each individual user have one vote?
>
> I'm not sure you're serious but in case you are, here are some
> problems with the ideal approach:

  One person, one vote is hardly ideal in any sense that I can think of.
Hence attempting equate "Ideal" with one person/stakeholder/user,
with one vote in such a context, is not valid.

> 1) Defining the electing body. Should every human on earth vote,
> giving that many are very far from their first Internet use and
> therefore have no precise opinion about DNS wildcards in ".com"?

 No one is saying that every person on earth should vote on issues
that effect them, unless they choose or desire to do so.  Hence framing
your question here as one of your arguments is also not valid.  However
any stakeholder/user should have the CHOICE to vote if they so desire
regardless of the political structure of their country in issues that
effect
them.

> 2) Ensuring a free election campaign, giving that many Internet users
> are in countries without free speech.

  These countries that do not have free speech are very few and getting
fewer.  Hence this argument is also not legitimate...

> 3) Ensuring only one vote per user, giving that some human beings do
> not yet have a PGP key or a X509 certificate.

  Why would a user need to have a PGP key or x509 cert to
vote necessarily?  Other forms of secure voting which have been
discussed many times on this very forum are in use today in
the international corp. world as well as the public sector.
See:  Surevote.com for One such example...

> 4) Combining the secrecy of voting (unless you plan to drop it, which
> may be an option) with the ability to check the tallying (and not in
> the Florida way).

  Florida used paper ballots which have historically been shown to
have very significant tally and count verification problems/nightmares.
Yet India, has gone to Evoting of late.

> 5) Spending less than the budget of Bangladesh on the vote.

  Where do you get such a potential figure?

> Etc, etc.

 Indeed! Ect. Ect... More nonsense against individuals voting, ect. ect...

    Pierre Abelard
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 214-244-3801