Re: [ga] European At Large meeting announcement (today)

On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 02:03:45PM -0800,
 Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
 a message of 87 lines which said:

> > 2) Ensuring a free election campaign, giving that many Internet users
> > are in countries without free speech.
>
>   These countries that do not have free speech are very few and getting
> fewer.

Good news. I wasn't aware that China is so small.

> > 3) Ensuring only one vote per user, giving that some human beings do
> > not yet have a PGP key or a X509 certificate.
>
>   Why would a user need to have a PGP key or x509 cert to
> vote necessarily?

To authentify them, may be?

>  Other forms of secure voting which have been
> discussed many times on this very forum are in use today in
> the international corp. world as well as the public sector.

Many forms have been *discussed*. Nothing is ready yet.

> See:  Surevote.com for One such example...

"This site requires the Macromedia Flash Plugin. " So, I was not able
to check your claims.

> > 4) Combining the secrecy of voting (unless you plan to drop it, which
> > may be an option) with the ability to check the tallying (and not in
> > the Florida way).
>
>   Florida used paper ballots which have historically been shown to
> have very significant tally and count verification problems/nightmares.
> Yet India, has gone to Evoting of late.

See http://www.schneier.com/crypto-gram-0012.html#1 for a rebuttal of
evoting and a good list of links.