Re: 'stakeholders' was: Re: [ga] Re: ICANN before the US Senate...

  • To: Eric Dierker <eric@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: 'stakeholders' was: Re: [ga] Re: ICANN before the US Senate...
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 22:12:59 -0700
  • Cc: bortzmeyer@xxxxxx, karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx, ga@xxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Eric and all former DNSO GA members or other interested parties,

  It's "Dotcommers" not "Dotcommoners", Eric.

  However this diatribe is rather dated and has very little
mileage left.  The bursting of the Dot-Com bubble is
long over.  New and/or timely and relevant themes.

Eric Dierker wrote:

> We must be mindful that the only restriction on participation is education.
> Apathy is a choice only after understanding ones rights.
> I personally have held a stake or two - one I ate in the outback of AU and
> the other I planted in the ground to mark a boundary.
> A right to a voice is all dotcommoners want.
> eric
>
> > On Sat, Aug 09, 2003 at 03:31:16PM -0700,
> >  Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
> >  a message of 41 lines which said:
> >
> >> May I suggest that we forever drop the word "stakeholders".
> >
> > Why not, I agree with you that, in theory, everyone on earth is
> > affected by the Internet (even those without connection because, for
> > instance, a decision by ICANN/RIR/IETF can affect wether they will get
> > a connection one day or not).
> >
> > But I agree with Leah Gallegos that, in practice, not everyone is
> > equally interested and eager to participate. It is very common to
> > restrict voting to people that show a marked interest (you do not
> >suggest that the IETF follows the rules of a normal democracy,
> > although its decisions can affect everybody on earth).
> >
> > Speaking about IETF, it is strange that you criticize ICANN on the
> > ground of restricted voting and that you support the RIRs which are
> > much worse on that respect. Because of a "they only deal with
> > technical issues" bs^H^Hreasoning?
> >
> >> If truth be told, *everyone* on the planet is affected by the
> >> internet,  everyone has a stake in the internet.
> >
> > So, the issue of who should vote is clear, at last (a problem that
> > plagues every Internet governance proposal and that your proposal
> >solves nicely). Every citizen. Oh, by the way, we already have a
> > method for the representation of "everybody", of "the people". It is
> > embedded in the constitutions of the various countries. So, you
> >suggest we drop ICANN in favor of elected bodies (the name of these
> >bodies start with a 'g')?

    Pierre Abelard
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 214-244-3801