Re[2]: [ga] GoDaddy VP Caught Bidding Against Customers

  • To: *ICANN GA List <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re[2]: [ga] GoDaddy VP Caught Bidding Against Customers
  • From: Karl Peters - TLDA <tlda@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 22:34:49 -0400

> I can see benefit in having .bank for security purposes.  Logins for home
> users etc. could have built
> in software that checks to make sure that the TLD is correct before asking
> for login and password.
>  I am sure that this type of software would be (relatively) easy to design
> (and install locally) and would
> save a lot of people from internet fraud.  On the other hand, Sotiris is
> right, the fraudsters will quickly
> find other ways.  It is about education, essentially, and I don't think the
> banks do enough on this score.
> But a .bank coupled with the right software would go some way to restore good
> faith, good practice
> and relatively good security IMHO.
> Best regards
> Debbie

I heartily agree! As for fraudsters finding a way around it, they really won't
have to in order to
keep a reasonable market of prey in hand. Most fraud is not that clever, but
made to look
attractive or imperative to the really naive user. Banks offering online
services should probably
require at least a twenty minute video be watched by account holders before
allowing them
online access at all, to insure they have at least a bare-bones understanding
of who is out
there to swindle them. All account holders should actually be given such a
short course these
days, as very few lack internet and are unreachable by very inexpensive spam
efforts that
attack those naive. The .bank TLD is a good step, though, in assuring those who
type in their
own destination and not follow a deceptive link will actually get to a real
bank. Then we need
watch out for banks that regularly commit fraud or cooperate with it, or are
registered in places
where there is little or no regulation on banks. Just being a verifiable bank
does not guarantee
any level of ethic or scruple, though the chances are better!

-Karl E. Peters