Re: [ga] GoDaddy VP Caught Bidding Against Customers

  • To: debbie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, ICANN registry comments <registryservice@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] GoDaddy VP Caught Bidding Against Customers
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2008 18:57:25 -0700

Debbie and all,

  With all due respect, you seem to be arguing in a circle.

  Additionally, .bank already exists on alternative root systems
and has for a number of years now.  As such, for ICANN to
create or introduce a .bank TLD/gTLD knowing this, they would
be yet again creating a situation for collisions on a number of levels.
To justify doing so as "Competition" as Roberto has suggested, is
a very spacious argument at best.  Unfair competition statutes as
well the predatory business practices act would seem to apply
here.  So it seemed to me that Roberto and possible the ICANN
bod is signaling that another .BIZ situation is about to occur and
are willing or preparing for a legal challenge at some point to same.

Debbie Garside wrote:

> I can see benefit in having .bank for security purposes.  Logins for home
> users etc. could have built in software that checks to make sure that the
> TLD is correct before asking for login and password.  I am sure that this
> type of software would be (relatively) easy to design (and install locally)
> and would save a lot of people from internet fraud.  On the other hand,
> Sotiris is right, the fraudsters will quickly find other ways.  It is about
> education, essentially, and I don't think the banks do enough on this score.
> But a .bank coupled with the right software would go some way to restore
> good faith, good practice and relatively good security IMHO.
>
> Best regards
>
> Debbie

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 281k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln

jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
My Phone: 214-244-4827