Re: [ga] Is the GA "Leadership" leading to propose to:APNIC 26 - Call for policy proposals and informational presentations

  • To: *ICANN GA List <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Is the GA "Leadership" leading to propose to:APNIC 26 - Call for policy proposals and informational presentations
  • From: Karl Peters - TLDA <tlda@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 22:14:48 -0400

>   Is the GA "Leadership" ready or preparing to submit proposals?
> As far as I can tell, the GA leadership has been largely absent, and
> hasn't even "Voted" present, let alone leading on, or in respect to,
> such important opportunities.

Jeff and others,
        Pardon my ignorance(?), but who comprises our leadership, anyway? I
know a few monitors, but in no way should monitors be considered leadership, as
they are really not here to initiate or lead, but to reign in where order is
broken down. Is the GA leadership elected or appointed? By whom? How often and
on what schedule?
        Our fledgling re-start of the TLDA has already held one election and is
preparing for a second round to select an ever-rotating group of board members
and committee members. That kind of structure is likely overkill for a loose
affiliation such as the GA, but perhaps something more aggressive than we have
presently would make "belonging" here actually mean something, and not just a
place to keep up with and start gossip.
        How many total members are there to this world-wide no-criteria-to-join
assembly, anyway? I bet that some sense of meaning to the group, supported by
some sort of leadership, would attract a lot more members and get them
involved. Don't we want that? What use is it to bat around ideas and leave them
all on the floor at the end of the thread?

-Karl E. Peters