Re: [ga] domain tasting comments

  • To: <chris@xxxxxx>, "Roberto Gaetano" <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] domain tasting comments
  • From: "Elisabeth Porteneuve" <elisabeth.porteneuve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 19:36:37 +0200

----- Original Message ----- From: <chris@xxxxxx>
To: "Roberto Gaetano" <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "'GA'" <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, April 03, 2008 6:14 PM

It is not clearly stated at registrars during registration that the customer has 5 days in which they are allowed to change their mind about the domain name they are registering.

--
Roberto, All,

Do you remember one of main reasons to set up ICANN?

Under historic pre-ICANN rules people could register number of domain names without actually paying them, they had 30 days "grace period". It allowed for terrible speculations, WIPO was screaming, VeriSign (actually NetSol at that time) was not happy either.

The White Paper http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/6_5_98dns.htm recorded it:

"Further, the U.S. Government recommends that the new corporation adopt policies whereby: 1) Domain registrants pay registration fees at the time of registration or renewal and agree to submit infringing domain names to the authority of a court of law in the jurisdiction in which the registry, registry database, registrar, or the "A" root servers are located."

I do not know when AGP sneaked into gTLD rules, but from what I see now we are back at square one today: 5 days in 2008 or 30 days 10 years ago, no difference.

I also carefully noted that Ross Rader said 1 days is sufficient for him to fix registrar's mistake.

Elisabeth