Re: [ga] Investigating a RUMF? (UDRP filing fees)

  • To: <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Investigating a RUMF? (UDRP filing fees)
  • From: "Prophet Partners Inc." <Domains@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 00:39:34 -0400

Hi jfc,

These are just the current filing fees paid by the complainant when filing a domain dispute under the UDRP and do not cover additional costs such as attorney fees, photocopies, postage, etc. A complainant can minimize the cost of filing an UDRP by representing themselves "pro se" without a lawyer.

The complainant's fee to file an UDRP through NAF starts at US $1,300.
http://domains.adrforum.com/main.aspx?itemID=631&hideBar=False&navID=237&news=26
The complainant's fee to file an UDRP through WIPO starts at US $1,500.
http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/fees/index.html
The complainant's fee to file an UDRP through AAA starts at US $2,000.
http://www.adr.org/sp.asp?id=22015

The UDRP filing fees in my opinion are more than reasonable and not out of reach for those who are serious about protecting their intellectual property. The fees are essential in limiting the number of frivolous complaints. Even with the existing fees, there have been numerous instances of legitimate owners of generic or descriptive domains being unjustly harassed via frivolous UDRP complaints. We should all keep in mind that domain owners as respondents have to spend time and money to protect their legitimate interests whenever an UDRP is filed. Respondents cannot recover the lost time or expenses even when they win the dispute. The only thing they "win" is the right to continue to use their domain until the next opportunity seeker comes along to file a complaint. Not responding to a complaint usually leads to a default judgment in favor of the complainant. Domain owners are already in a lose-lose situation. Reducing or eliminating UDRP filing fees would greatly magnify the problem, as people who want something of value for nothing, would come out of the woodworks. Imagine the chaos that would ensue if a free $1 million lottery was announced. Registrants of generic and descriptive domain names should not be unduly burdened, by a deluge of frivolous complaints, that would be initiated after reducing or eliminating the UDRP filing fees.

I am not a lawyer and these are only my personal opinions. If you require legal advice, you should seek qualified legal counsel.

Sincerely,
Ted
Prophet Partners Inc.
http://www.ProphetPartners.com