Re: GA "Election" was fake, ignore the "results" ( was Re: [ga] Elections Results - vote count)

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: GA "Election" was fake, ignore the "results" ( was Re: [ga] Elections Results - vote count)
  • From: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 11:31:29 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

--- Joe Baptista <baptista@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Democracies require active participation.

The GA mailing list does not have "active participation", that's why
"democracies" like "voting" for a fake set of "rules" doesn't work, as
capture by a tiny group of active kooks will happen, and one can see
from the past few months on this very list what that leads to.

Q.E.D.

That's why ICANN ended elections for Board members. And ICANN obviously
makes public participation a very low priority. One only need look at
the public participation manager's blog post of yesterday:

"Where have you gone? Public participation conundrum"

http://blog.icann.org/?p=203

"It is not unusual for there to be very few comments during an ICANN
public comment period ? although we have recently been trying to
improve on that - but it is surprising that there are no comments at
all"

Hmmmm, "I have failed at my job in improving public participation"
might be the too obvious conclusion. When you have no predefined
metrics on "success", you can even try to spin "no comments at all" as
to somehow being the public's fault.

Perhaps ICANN Staff should hire Gordon Ramsay of Kitchen Nightmares:

http://www.fox.com/kitchennightmares/

to whip their operation into shape (the most recent episode began with
a failing restaurant that had no customers during the lunch hour, but
that was turned around in a week).

No customers, no comments, no public participation, hmmmm.

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.kirikos.com/