[ga] The Authority of the TLDA and other root organizations

  • To: JFC Morfin <jefsey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] The Authority of the TLDA and other root organizations
  • From: Joe Baptista <baptista@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 08:54:02 -0400

To begin - I support the statements made by Jeff Morfin to Mr. Teernstra. But I think we need some clarification over the term authority.

At this time in DNS history there is no authority given to any root by any organization. This includes ICANN who assume they have authority based on a false monopoly. As I said years ago that monopoly never existed. Any monopoly that does exist is false and dependent on user ignorance. This we have seen as ICANNs attempts to control internet naming infrastructure have failed. Again much of the failure is based on user ignorance.

Internet protocols are by their engineering are transparent and controlled ultimately by the end user. This rule applies to DNS as it applies to any other protocol - more or less. In the beggining when the authoritative file was controlled by Jon Postel we had once unique internet naming system. 99.99% of internet users at that time were ignorant of the options available as they are today and back then 99.99% of Internet users were navigating using the IANA/ICANN root zone. But this has changed dramatically and although 99.99% of internet users are still ignorant of their options only 80% or less use the ICANN zone file for navigation today.

ICANNs failure to make itself easily available as an open system for TLD registrations is mainly responsible for this errosion and the internet fractures resulting. Today users in china and participating countries no longer use the ICANN zone. The great wall of china now has their own national DNS for alternative TLDs. A number of arab countries have gone in the same direction. Turkey is an inclusive name space zone. And other countries are walking away from ICANN in favour of local or national root systems that better serve their people.

So this argument about authority is really a red herring. The TLDA is simply an organization in which a number of participants have given it the authority to produce an authoritative root zone file that supports the Inclusive Name Space. This name space unlike the ICANN zone incorporates all root zones. Essentially the file addresses and corrects existing internet fractures.

I hope that helps to clarify the issue for you.

cheers
joe baptista

JFC Morfin wrote:

Dear Joop,
is there an authority to decide for the world if Picasso is a great or a bad painter? Naming is of the same nature. ICANN is only a Guide which tells the price it advises to pay Picasso painting. The TLDA is only a painter association. The MINC is a critic. What is missing is a Membuser (there are no member and we are indirect users) association to discuss with all of them. When you introduced the IDNO you only had the ICANN/DNSO welcome structure, open to constituencies.

Today we have the IGF, covering every ICANN issue and more, which works by Dynamic Coalition. If you want to join in the creation of an ICANN-GA Dynamic Coalition interested in the ICANN general management within the emerging new Internet Governance, you welcome. So is everyone else.

jfc