[ga] GAC Closed Sessions

  • To: Kieren McCarthy <kierenmccarthy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] GAC Closed Sessions
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 18:52:55 -0700 (PDT)

Kieren,

Almost two years ago you wrote an impassioned Open
Letter to GAC chair Mohamed Sharil Tarmizi asking for
a review of their policy regarding closed meetings.
You wrote that "open meetings would increase the GAC's
credibility in the eyes of the public, and eliminate
the fear that secret deals are being done behind
closed doors."

As I review the current GAC schedule for LA, I see
eleven (11) closed sessions.

Recalling the bylaws that state "ICANN and its
constituent bodies shall operate to the maximum extent
feasible in an open and transparent manner", I have to
wonder if ICANN is deliberately turning a blind eye to
GAC behaviors.

Why are these closed sessions being tolerated by
ICANN?  Who's in charge?  Is it ICANN that sets the
rules at a plenary or is it the GAC?

I can understand accommodating the need for an
occasional closed session... but this is clearly
excessive (and likely unwarranted).

regards,
Danny