Re: [ga] New mailing list: icann-people.

At 08:14 p.m. 10/09/2004, you wrote:
On 2004-09-10 15:19:16 +1200, Joop Teernstra wrote:

> 1. Why did you discontinue to host www.democracy.org.nz which
> contains IDNO archives and pointers to the IDNO archives?

I discontinued doing *what*?  Check your facts, Joop -- I *never*
hosted that site.

I'm sorry, FITUG.de did. I presumed you made the decision. Perhaps it is just co-incidence, now that FITUG has become an approved At Large structure.

> 2. In your goodbye letter to the ICANN -Europe list that you also
> recently discontinued you mentioned several blogs and fora.

> Why did you not mention icannatlarge and its webfora?

Because I didn't find a single place there that actually dealt with
ICANN, as opposed to dealing with icannatlarge and its webfora.

Alas, that is largely true. An At Large has to organize itself as a constituency before it can deal with ICANN. However, if you look at the topic range of www.icannatlarge.com/forum you see that there are several area's actually meant for discussing ICANN.
You could post there, if you wished.

Quite frankly, I don't find a single place there that I could
recommend to anyone.  It's quite sad, but that's what it is.

>>When (if?) enough people have come together, I'll send an
>>initial posting to let subscribers know.

>>(As I said, this is an experiment.  It may quite well fail.)

> What will you consider success? In other words: what is the
> mission statement of the list-owner-without-hat (beyond
> conducting an experiment)?

As success, I'd count people joining, staying, and posting.  As
success, I'd count discussions across constituencies and groups
inside ICANN that are *also* open to "outsiders."

I think most sensible old-time "outsiders" have given up and the motivation to spend time on elaborate and worthwhile postings or study is gone. That is why this list, even though it still has plenty of lurkers, is nearly dead.

Maybe  your experiment can be successful with newcomers.

-joop- www.icannatlarge.com