Re: [ga] ICANN Travel Budgeting

  • To: "George Kirikos" <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] ICANN Travel Budgeting
  • From: sotiris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2007 10:18:34 -0800 (PST)

George Kirikos wrote:

> Why is it that no one at ICANN can provide a quote as to what Webex.com
> or another videoconference solution that can scale to 200+ people would
> cost?

Apple's Open Source Darwin Streaming Software is free and has been used to
stream live broadcasts to as many as 5000 participants.  The only cost is
the bandwidth... for which I am sure ICANN can negotiate a good deal.
But, I really don't think the staffers at ICANN are all that interested in
having a more inclusive approach to ICANN meetings, instead, it seems they
are moving more towards excluding the public wherever/however they can.
Let's face it, cost is not the issue here... In Montreal in 2003, with the
remote assistance of Abel Wisman, I webcast (audio only) the first(?)
public ALAC(K) meeting and the Public Question Period using my laptop with
its built-in microphone.

So, it's really not a cost issue...

Sotiris Sotiropoulos