RE: [registrars] An Opportunity to Prove A Point - Hi-Jacked Name At GoDaddy

  • To: <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "G2L52" <paulg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Christine Jones" <cjones@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [registrars] An Opportunity to Prove A Point - Hi-Jacked Name At GoDaddy
  • From: "Nevett, Jonathon" <jnevett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 14:04:19 -0500
  • Cc: "Registrar Constituency" <registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Let me throw another one out for consideration:

7. A domain name was already in "lock status" provided that the
Registrar provides a readily accessible and reasonable means for the
Registered Name Holder to remove the lock status.

In the example that Christine gave, Go Daddy locks a name after a Whois contact change for 60 days.  If the customer tries to transfer during the 60 day period, then the transfer could be denied under #7 as it was already in lock status.  The issue comes down to whether the customer has a reasonable means to lift the lock.

Is it reasonable for a registrar to require a registrant to appear in person at the registrar's offices in order to authorize the transfer (I understand that one registrar actually does this)?  The first reaction likely would be no.  Would it change your mind, however, if this were the policy for only two or three character domain names valued at over $1 million?  Would it change your mind if the customer was so worried about hijackings that it agreed to this requirement in writing as a security measure?  What if the customer was a prior victim of hijacking and saw its domain name travel to three or four registrars around the world before getting it back six months later?  Would it change your mind if the customer requested and actually paid the registrar to be provided with this additional security measure?

Is it reasonable to deny transfers for 60 days after a Whois Admin or Primary Contact change, which is typical in hijacking cases?  Is it reasonable to lock names for 60 days after a Whois Admin or Primary Contact change and require additional verification of the contact information in order to transfer during that 60 day period?

Issues of reasonableness under law are anything, but black and white.  Therefore, the rhetoric that we recently have read and heard about "clear violations" is just that -- rhetoric.

Who should decide what is reasonable in these difficult scenarios?  Should it be ICANN staff, the GNSO PDP process already looking at these specific issues, or the market?  If customers don't like Go Daddy's (or Network Solutions') security policy, then the competitive marketplace could provide a solution.  Other registrars could market to customers who care less about security and hijackings and don't want to wait 60 days or provide additional verification after a Whois Admin or Primary Contact change.  In a competitive marketplace, there is a great deal of room for market differentiation.  This could and should be a differentiator.  We would be hurting registrants if we didn't have the ability to provide additional security protections.

Thanks.

Jon