Re: [registrars] An Opportunity to Prove A Point - Hi-Jacked Name At GoDaddy

  • To: <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [registrars] An Opportunity to Prove A Point - Hi-Jacked Name At GoDaddy
  • From: Ross Rader <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 12:25:37 -0500
  • Cc: "'Paul Goldstone'" <paulg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Christine Jones'" <cjones@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "'elliot noss'" <enoss@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'Bruce Tonkin'" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Tim Ruiz'" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Adam Dicker'" <amd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Feb 22, 2008, at 9:38 AM, John Berryhill wrote:

Having to chase hi-jacked domains name hither and yon,
suggests that there needs to be a balance between a distributed
inconvenience for many, versus a catastrophic event for a few.

I agree fully John, but the complexity associated with "chasing domains" is largely fabricated by our industry. The names aren't being smuggled in the trunk of a car on the back of a freighter to some foreign port. They are a record in a database. I can't believe that ten years later, we're still settling with the fingerpointing associated with re-patriating names to their rightful owners in cases where hijackings have actually taken place.

It shouldn't matter how many registrars the name has been transferred to or how many admin or registrant contact changes a name has gone through post transfer. What matters is what happened in the first case - and if the transfer was fraudulent - i.e. the registrant didn't approve of it, then the entire chain of subsequent events should be completely irrelevent. For some reason, the industry seems to have settled on the more complex condition. Baffling to me why.

-ross