RE: [registrars] An Opportunity to Prove A Point - Hi-Jacked Name At GoDaddy

  • To: "Nevett,Jonathon" <jnevett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [registrars] An Opportunity to Prove A Point - Hi-Jacked Name At GoDaddy
  • From: Tim Ruiz <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 13:30:26 -0700
  • Cc: Registrar Constituency <registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, G2L52 <paulg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Christine Jones <cjones@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jon makes an excellent point, I agree, and it complies with the policy.
Regarding Jon's question about who should decide what is reasonable,
this should not be decided by a so-called *clarification* of the policy.
This is the concern I have with the current PDP, and ICANN's proposed
advisory. It is not appropriate to change policy, or make new policy,
under the guise of *clarification* thereby avoiding the full involvement
and input of the community.

And to *throw another one out for consideration:*

6. Express written objection to the transfer from the Transfer Contact.
(e.g. - email, fax, paper document or other processes by which the
Transfer Contact has expressly and voluntarily objected through opt-in
means)

At Go Daddy, this comes up most often in relation to names registered by
Domains By Proxy or names that undergo a complete change of Registered
Name Holder. In the former case, Domains By Proxy is the actual
Registered Name Holder and has a separate agreement with its customers.
In the latter case, there is no requirement or policy regarding names
that undergo a change of hands. Registrars have implemented various
methods to accomodate this, some are clearly geared toward ease of
process. Others, like Go Daddy's, is geared toward security of the
process. If the security requirements of Go Daddy's process is not
acceptable to a particular Registered Name Holder, they can certainly
transfer the name to a registrar with a process they prefer and follow
through on the change of hands after the transfer.

Tim