Re: [registrars] Re: Ballot to determine whether ICANN Registrars favor or oppose Domain Tasting.

  • To: russ@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [registrars] Re: Ballot to determine whether ICANN Registrars favor or oppose Domain Tasting.
  • From: Ross Rader <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 14:41:19 -0500
  • Cc: "Robert F. Connelly" <BobC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Registrars Constituency <registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 18-Jan-08, at 1:52 PM, Russ Goodwin wrote:

My company chose to vote for the poorly worded option "vote in favour of domain tasting" (which refers to View 2) because we do not support ICANN's attempt to regulate the market. In general we believe ICANN has and continues to overstep their bounds as a technical coordinator.

This is a false argument. ICANN is not a regulator. It is only implementing the policies that the community, mostly private sector, have agreed on. This is what we as registrars signed up for when we became accredited.

It is perfectly reasonable for ICANN to adopt a consensus policy eliminating or modifying the AGP.

It is also perfectly reasonable for you and others to argue for their self-interest, but I think its important that we don't let the rhetoric cloud the view of those that are still looking to make up their mind on the issue. We are a long way from establishing consensus policy on this issue - perhaps at this early stage we should attempt to keep our discussions fact-based and non-judgemental.

Ross Rader
Director, Retail Services
t. 416.538.5492
c. 416.828.8783
http://www.domaindirect.com

"To solve the problems of today, we must focus on tomorrow."
- Erik Nupponen