[registrars] Re: Ballot to determine whether ICANN Registrars favor or oppose Domain Tasting.

  • To: "Robert F. Connelly" <BobC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Registrars Constituency <registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [registrars] Re: Ballot to determine whether ICANN Registrars favor or oppose Domain Tasting.
  • From: Russ Goodwin <russ@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 13:52:27 -0500
  • Comment: DomainKeys? See http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Robert F. Connelly wrote:
Dear Russ:  I'd like to urge you to follow up on your vote supporting the Amendment to the Motion on Domain Tasting (AGP).

I am writing as an individual registrar, not as the Secretary.

I prefer the term used by Chuck Gomes when he first told us of the practice.  I believe it was "Abuse of Add-Delete Grace Period".  AGP is just a euphemism for that Abuse.  Domain kiting is also covered by Abuse.  And, in my opinion, so is the recent  NSI practice of "reserving" domains after they are checked in the NSI Whois.

Your vote against Domain Tasting will help send the right kind of message to GNSO --- contrary to what some voices are shouting, Registrars *do_not* universally approve of Domain Tasting.

I urge you to return your ballot marked as shown in the following sample:

[Domain Tasting]
	[] Vote in favour of Domain Tasting
	[x] Vote against Domain Tasting
	[] Abstain

Cordially, BobC

Bob-

When you say "follow up" do you mean that I should simply vote on this new ballot, or elaborate to the list on my already-placed vote? Since I already voted, I'll assume you meant the latter, thus:

My company chose to vote for the poorly worded option "vote in favour of domain tasting" (which refers to View 2) because we do not support ICANN's attempt to regulate the market. In general we believe ICANN has and continues to overstep their bounds as a technical coordinator.

We make no judgments regarding anyone's use of the AGP. If there is a real technical issue (i.e. ACTUAL destabilization of the .com/.net zones) then the .com/.net registry should make it known and take action like the .org registry.

We find most of the arguments in View 1 for taking action against "tasting" to be spurious at best. For instance, ICANN is not tasked with protecting third parties who process zone files. Another company I'm involved with processes com, net, and other zone files daily and we simply adapted our systems to handle the larger files.

We believe elimination of the AGP should not be an option and would cause more harm than good.

We support Network Solutions' (and other registrars') effort to make good use of the AGP to better serve their customers.

I hope this clarifies our position.

Regards,

-Russ