[registrars] Regarding compensation of Board members and Council members

  • To: "Registrars Constituency" <registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [registrars] Regarding compensation of Board members and Council members
  • From: "Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 15:27:28 +1000
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello Ross,

> 2) The Board of Directors and the GNSO perform two incredibly
> different functions. Board members have a legal
> responsibility for the
> affairs of the corporation. Commercial and non-profit Board members
> are typically modestly compensated and usually receive reimbursement
> for full travel costs. If ICANN wishes to attract competent Board
> members, they must compensate and reimburse their Board of Directors
> in some way. I find it remarkable that ICANN has not moved to paying
> its directors already.

The ICANN Board will be commissioning a review of itself, just as there
has been a review of the GNSO.

The Board approved the posting of a draft terms of reference in
September for public comment.
http://www.icann.org/announcements/announcement-2-20sep07.htm

See:
http://www.icann.org/reviews/icann-board-review-20sep07.pdf

Note section 3 (What skills and experience needed by Board members to
fulfil their roles

(j) Noting that the issue of compensation will be countenanced in the
Strategic Plan, does compensation improve the performance of Boards and
does it increase the pool of available talent for Board membership?

And
(l) Should Board members only be compensated?  Should members of
Supporting Organisations and Address Councils be compensated?

(m) Does compensation create an inherent conflict of interest given the
nature of ICANN's technical remit?

I don't believe there is a strong push from within the current Board for
compensation, and it is left to the community to decide whether they
think this would be beneficial in attracting new or better Board
members.

For myself - I would not seek compensation in my current circumstances.
Other Board members have commented that ICANN wouldn't be able to afford
them if they charged their normal daily rates, and have pointed out that
if the amount was small  - then the additional issues around tax and
liability would make it more hassle than it was worth.   There are also
various implications for ICANN's insurance and non-profit status in
California as well.  It seems that while in some countries it is routine
to compensate Board members of non-profits - this does not seem to be
the case in the USA.

Regards,
Bruce