RE: [registrars] Motion on Travel Funding

  • To: "Peter Stevenson" <peter.stevenson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Ross Rader" <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [registrars] Motion on Travel Funding
  • From: "Adrian Kinderis" <adrian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 15:58:51 +1100
  • Cc: "Registrars Constituency" <registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

All,

Let me just say for a start, my organisation is more than capable of
funding my travel. So pleased don't misinterpret the following.

I am all for making sure that the money in the budget is apportioned
appropriately and utilised effectively.

As per my previous comments I believe the ICANN budget could be and
should be scrutinised in many different ways. To assume that this money
potentially being allocated for travel funding  is going to increase
"taxes" seems a bit misguided. ICANN won't raise its "tax" (not without
a lynching from the Registrars), but they will spend the money - make no
mistake about that. It will simply use these funds elsewhere (ICANN
dinners, badges and buttons, new logos etc). The same money just gets
apportioned out in a different direction - just like in government.

I would like to see these funds used for more positive pursuits and I
believe having a fully functioning GNSO is one of those (especially
having been involved in the process).

Why should the GNSO be any different to the ICANN board (who from what I
here are seeking remuneration by the way) or the Nominating Committee,
all of which have their travel funded?

We should certainly do a study/ survey amongst the GNSO Councillors to
see if this funding is warranted (and not just wanted) but potentially
the same should be said to the others that receive the funding?

That said,  Jon Nevett had an excellent idea about the ICANN funding to
the constituency that could then decide on its allocation (i.e. for
travel funding, staffing, consultancy etc).

Mind you, however the Constituency views this topic I will be sure to
support their decision on the Council, as always.

For the record, the second part of the suggest motion is a little
insulting and is simply not required. We were elected to do just that.
Having it stated in a motion won't make me do it any more "vigourously".

Regards,

Adrian Kinderis
Managing Director
AusRegistry Group Pty Ltd
Level 8, 10 Queens Road
Melbourne. Victoria Australia. 3004
Ph: +61 3 9866 3710
Fax: +61 3 9866 1970
Email: adrian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Web: www.ausregistrygroup.com

The information contained in this communication is intended for the
named recipients only. It is subject to copyright and may contain
legally privileged and confidential information and if you are not an
intended recipient you must not use, copy, distribute or take any action
in reliance on it. If you have received this communication in error,
please delete all copies from your system and notify us immediately.