Re: [registrars] RE: Acceptable Delivery Method (Fourth Draft of GAINING registrar form for transfers)

  • To: Bruce Tonkin <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [registrars] RE: Acceptable Delivery Method (Fourth Draft of GAINING registrar form for transfers)
  • From: Larry Erlich <erlich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 11:06:49 -0400
  • Cc: registrars@xxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Bruce Tonkin wrote:

> Hello Larry,
>

> > Is it possible for the gaining registrar approval "letter" to
> > be delivered by a method other than email? If not, does this
> > assume that if the registrant does not have a current email
> > address with the losing registrar, or does not have any email
> > access, they can't transfer registrar?
> >

> We have yet to see the proposed contractual changes etc, but my
> understanding of the policy development outcome was that you could send
> the form to the registrant contact via:
> - email, fax, or post
> (it using the contact information available in the WHOIS).

Thanks. This seems to indicate that the fax # needs
to be in the whois? Note that the fax is often
not in the whois. Melbourneit.com, DomainRegistry.com, Godaddy.com
don't have their fax # in the whois for example.

> The issue with voice is probably one of proof.  Although I guess you
> could record a conversation where a notice was read out and an
> affirmative answer received.

I think that you need proof of the
affirmative answer either in writing or electronically except
in cases where the registrar has an existing relationship
with a customer (meaning the "registrant" has an existing
relationship - not a reseller).