Re: [registrars] Discussion stage for balloting procedures, in advance of voting on this issue.

  • To: Registrar Constituency <registrars@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [registrars] Discussion stage for balloting procedures, in advance of voting on this issue.
  • From: Paul Westley <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 17:55:21 +0100
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi guys,

I endorse the motion to put this issue to a ballot.

Kind regards,

Paul Westley

At 17:48 13/07/03, Robert F. Connelly wrote:
Dear Registrars: I have been directed to initiate the 14 day discussion on this issue:

VOTING BALLOT

Explanation:  A number of registrars had expressed a wish for anonymous
voting in order to protect Constituency members and potentially foster greater
voter participation.  The current voting process posts each Constituency
member's vote as soon as such member votes. Please note that only Constituency
members (who have passwords to the boardrooms site) may view voting results.
At the Montreal meeting, we discussed several options for changing this process, including a change to post only the collective results rather than individual votes. On the list there was a question about whether or not abstentions may be viewed under one of the first 3 proposals. We will determine that fact prior to the vote.

Consequently, there is a motion for moving to one of the following processes:

1. Post only the collective voting results, not individual results, and only
        at the conclusion of the voting period.

2. Post only the collective voting results, not individual results, during
        the entire voting period.

3. Post individual voting results, but only at the conclusion of the voting
        period.

4.      Continue to post individual voting results, during the entire voting
        period.

Pursuant to the Constituency Rules of Procedure, this motion needs to have 5
endorsements, and will be put to a vote under the current voting procedures
after a 14-day discussion period.  Friendly amendments will be accepted and
such changes made to the ballot.  Unfriendly amendments will receive a
separate ballot.

In addition to making this change, there was discussion at the Montreal
meeting about whether or not the Executive Committee should continue to
manage the voting process.  Apparently, the only way that it is possible to
conduct votes through the boardrooms.org site is for the manager of the
process (Ex.Com.) to have access to individual votes.  While we do not intend
to use such access, the Constituency may wish to delegate this task to a third
party that is not a member of the Constituency.  However, as that would entail
delegation of all boardrooms.org management functions, including
membership rolls, passwords, etc., it may be a broader change than
anticipated, require hiring of a secretary, and/or switching to an alternative
online service.  We plan to investigate the options and bring them to the
Constituency for consideration in short order.  In the meantime, however, with
important votes coming up for the Constituency, we did not want to hold up
the consideration of a change in vote posting.

end quote:

Please discuss only this issue with the present Subject thread.

Regards, BobC