Re: [ga] Aviation languages

Esther and all,

  I agree fully.  Nicely done Esther.  Indeed as I have been trying
to graphically and sarcastically illustrate, this whole argument is
very ridiculous.  What I smell in this whole thread and related
threads/argument is an acute case of French jealousy.
Again, let them eat cake! >:)

Esther Dyson wrote:

> okay, I can't resist....
>
> A sophisticated French pilot was once quoted on the aviation language
> controversy.  here is what he said (in a delightful French accent):
>
> "This whole argument is ridiculous. Of course you must speak English
> in the cockpit.  I would no more speak French in the cockpit than I
> would speak English in bed!"
>
> Esther
>
> At 05:36 PM 7/16/2007, Roberto Gaetano wrote:
> >Jaap,
> >

> > >     As far as I know English is mandatory.
> > >
> > > It is. And there is a protocol to switch to another languages
> > > in case the parties desire.
> > >
> > > For more details, google for "aviation languages" and similar terms.
> >

> ><maybe off topic, or just borderline...>
> >
> >With all due respect, I made the statement about languages not because I
> >*thought*, but because I *know* from personal experience that Italian can
> >rightfully be used under certain circumstances by pilots while flying over
> >the italian air space. Specifically, the use of italian is lawful for all
> >VFR flights, that are still the vast majority of the flights where amateur
> >pilots engage. And since it is the pilot who initiates the conversation, for
> >instance with the control tower when still in parking position, there is no
> >protocol needed: he/she chooses the language.
> >Please have a look at the document of the National (Italian) Authority for
> >Civil Aviation:
> >http://www.enac-italia.it/documents/download/nor/Reg-Regole_Aria.pdf. This
> >is updated as of 2006-10-03, and has clear text on paragraph 3.10 (in
> >italian).
> >Incidentally, this text is similar to the one used in different countries,
> >simply because it is taken from the Annex 10 to the Convention on
> >International Civil Aviation, issued by ICAO.
> >
> >I do acknowledge that English is, and will remain for the foreseeable
> >future, *the* language used in international situations (like this list, for
> >instance). But also that there are local situations (that also are here to
> >stay for a while) where communication is done using local languages. I know
> >that opinions vary about to which extent an international (common) language
> >should be used vs. a national (local) language. Dutch and French, to quote
> >an example.... ;>)
> >
> >Best regards,
> >Roberto
>
> Esther Dyson              Always make new mistakes!
>
> EDventure Holdings
> c/o Meetup, 10th floor
> 632 Broadway
> New York, NY 10012
> USA
>
> phone:  +1 646 442-6679  (office)
> edyson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx        www.edventure.com
>
> Flickr pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/edyson
> Flight School, June 20-22, in Aspen, Colorado:
> http://www.edventure.com/flightschool
>
> Release 0.9 (blog and bio):
> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/esther-dyson/ or
> feed://www.ponyfish.com/feeds/14320hOmiDEju
> [...]

   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827