Re: [ga] Public Comment Period: NARALO MOU/Multilinguals

  • To: Elisabeth Porteneuve <elisabeth.porteneuve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Roberto Gaetano <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Public Comment Period: NARALO MOU/Multilinguals
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 16:47:39 -0700 (PDT)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

All,

  Well I think the time has come here at the GA to actually have an opinion of this matter.

  1. Is there a problem? I am not so sure. In fact most problems were hypothetical at best and anecdotal at normal.

  2. If there is such a problem; what is the solution?

  I only want to steer this a little, and not use names. Someone has pleasantly offered resources to get a majority of the translation done. Clearly this is not all inclusive but probably sufficient as most using the more esoteric languages have already learned a close cousin. Besides most of my Vietnamese shoeshine boys just ask me.

  There are some that think that only English should be used. This is almost always an American - excuse me, a US citizen. This should not be just thrown out, other important systems use strictly English.

  I think that RALOs deal mostly in policy and politics, however consideration should be given to what Jefsey contributed.

  I must say that there are others like myself that just kind of get more out of the richness of even a translated document rather than just monolingual blandness of it all. I cannot converse in Vietnamese but I have learned the language well enough to sing and catch the nuances which give the flavor of a Viet phrase.

  So let us move to consensus and bless the RALOs with out opinion on this.

  When does the Comment Period end?

  Eric
  (as Chair) Not in the header anymore.

Elisabeth Porteneuve <elisabeth.porteneuve@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
          As far as I know English is mandatory. There is always a plane nearby on the radars with pilot not speaking French or Italian, and a few seconds to switch languages in critical situation may lead to disaster.

  However when launching spacecrafts, the French CapCom speaks French in Kourou, counting down dix, neuf, ... etc., and the American CapCom speaks English.

  Best,
  Elisabeth