RE: [ga] Aviation languages

okay, I can't resist....

A sophisticated French pilot was once quoted on the aviation language controversy. here is what he said (in a delightful French accent):

"This whole argument is ridiculous. Of course you must speak English in the cockpit. I would no more speak French in the cockpit than I would speak English in bed!"

Esther

At 05:36 PM 7/16/2007, Roberto Gaetano wrote:
Jaap,

>     As far as I know English is mandatory.
>
> It is. And there is a protocol to switch to another languages
> in case the parties desire.
>
> For more details, google for "aviation languages" and similar terms.

<maybe off topic, or just borderline...>

With all due respect, I made the statement about languages not because I
*thought*, but because I *know* from personal experience that Italian can
rightfully be used under certain circumstances by pilots while flying over
the italian air space. Specifically, the use of italian is lawful for all
VFR flights, that are still the vast majority of the flights where amateur
pilots engage. And since it is the pilot who initiates the conversation, for
instance with the control tower when still in parking position, there is no
protocol needed: he/she chooses the language.
Please have a look at the document of the National (Italian) Authority for
Civil Aviation:
http://www.enac-italia.it/documents/download/nor/Reg-Regole_Aria.pdf. This
is updated as of 2006-10-03, and has clear text on paragraph 3.10 (in
italian).
Incidentally, this text is similar to the one used in different countries,
simply because it is taken from the Annex 10 to the Convention on
International Civil Aviation, issued by ICAO.

I do acknowledge that English is, and will remain for the foreseeable
future, *the* language used in international situations (like this list, for
instance). But also that there are local situations (that also are here to
stay for a while) where communication is done using local languages. I know
that opinions vary about to which extent an international (common) language
should be used vs. a national (local) language. Dutch and French, to quote
an example.... ;>)

Best regards,
Roberto

Esther Dyson Always make new mistakes!

EDventure Holdings
c/o Meetup, 10th floor
632 Broadway
New York, NY 10012
USA

phone:  +1 646 442-6679  (office)
edyson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx        www.edventure.com

Flickr pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/edyson
Flight School, June 20-22, in Aspen, Colorado: http://www.edventure.com/flightschool

Release 0.9 (blog and bio): http://www.huffingtonpost.com/esther-dyson/ or feed://www.ponyfish.com/feeds/14320hOmiDEju
"The remainder of the proof is left as an exercise for the reader."