OT RE: [ga] GA list and the GNSO council

  • To: <baptista@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: OT RE: [ga] GA list and the GNSO council
  • From: "Debbie Garside" <debbie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 17:33:07 +0100
  • Cc: <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'ga'" <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Joe

Now you are getting into my area of expertise and I would have to agree with
much of what you say.  Although, a lot of Universities are very interested
in the way SMS/Net speak etc. is evolving.  Within language coding we will
have scope to include it for language tagging purposes for ICTs.

Over here we are seeing many kids in classrooms that don't know how to spell
in the "conventional" English manner and this does cause problems within
schools/essays etc.

As you say... What a world!  But it does make life interesting.  Oh, to be a
new age J.R.R. Tolkien working on new words and etymology for the OED in the
21st Century!  But the kids of today (in the UK) are going to struggle for a
while yet as the next printed version of the OED is not due out for another
4-5 years - unless you can afford £350 pa subscription.

Best

Debbie