Re: [ga][RAA] Involuntary expirations

Hi Joop,

You also stated earlier that the redistribution of expired domains was
wrong., to which we replied with a detailed explanation and several
analogies of why the current process is fair to registrants. Bear in mind
that we are speaking from the perspective of a registrant with several
thousand domain names and it is in our best interest to protect registrant
rights..

Perhaps you missed our prior response or found the analogies off the mark.
In any case, let's use the following instead.

Let's say someone parks their car at a parking meter. Their car may be a
worthless clunker, a compact, a full-size sedan, an SUV or an expensive
sportscar. The rules for parking all cars is the same. It should be noted
that the owner of a more valuable car will be more vigilant in ensuring that
the parking meter is fully paid at all times. The choice for parking is
1-hour increments up to 10-hours, by prepaying the parking meter. This is
the equivalent of the registration fees that a registrant would pay for a
domain name.

At any time before the parking meter expires, the owner can put more money
into the parking meter and extend his / her right to park in that parking
spot up to a total of 10 hours. This is the equivalent of a domain renewal
before expiration.

If at any point the owner fails to pay the parking meter and it expires, the
owner gets a parking ticket that notifies him / her that they he / she
failed to pay the parking meter. To continue to park in that spot, the owner
must pay the parking ticket and the parking meter. With a domain name, there
is no penalty associated with the expiration notice and the registrant only
has to pay the renewal fee. Domain expiration notifications are actually
more advantageous to a registrant than the owner of the car, as the
registrant of an expired domain receives notifications before the domain
expires..

Depending on the rules of where the owner parks, he / she may be given 3, 5
or 7 unpaid parking tickets before his / her car is towed and removed from
the parking spot. The towing should be considered as the final notice to pay
the parking meter. The owner can still get his / her car back and continue
to park by paying the towing charge, the unpaid parking tickets and the
parking meter. This is the equivalent of a domain registrant receiving
multiple expiration notices and the domain being removed from their account
after an expiration grace period. This is the final notice to renew. The
domain can be restored by paying a fee plus the renewal fees.

The owner has a short period of time to have his / her car returned by
paying the necessary fees. If the fees continue to go unpaid, the car is
considered abandoned and is sold at auction. Proceeds from the auction will
vary depending on the type and value of the car. The owner of the car does
not receive any of the proceeds. This is equivalent to auctions for expired
domains. In some cases, such as Network Solutions and Tucows, the prior
registrant does get a portion of the proceeds. This is also more
advantageous to a registrant than the owner of the car.

Barring exceptional circumstances such as a blackout affecting a major part
of the city, all excuses for not paying the parking meter are invalid. It
doesn't matter if the owner lost his wallet / her purse, got mugged, forgot
where he / she parked the car, was running behind schedule, had a broken
watch or fell asleep. It is quite possible that the owner of a worthless
clunker abandoned the car. Should the owner be tracked down to confirm that
he / she is abandoning the car before sending it off to the junkyard? The
bottom line is he / she has to face the consequences for not paying the
parking meter. This is equivalent to nearly all excuses for not paying
renewal fees, with an exception for situations like Registerfly.

Sincerely,
Ted
Prophet Partners Inc.
http://www.ProphetPartners.com