Re: [ga][RAA] Involuntary expirations

  • To: Joop Teernstra <terastra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, General Assembly of the DNSO <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga][RAA] Involuntary expirations
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 06:21:33 -0700 (PDT)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I see your point and agree to an extent. Making money off anothers' misfortune is bad.
  But I do not know that we can regulate morality. I like the voluntary (and presumably charged for) services of reminders.

  Eric

Joop Teernstra <terastra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  At 02:13 a.m. 18/04/2007, you wrote:
>Jeff,
>
>Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I read the article and I am
>not buying it. I saw only a baldfaced assertion of stress but no evidence
>except on behalf of an employee with a mega corp. And it would appear to
>be that employees' job to do what she was complaining about doing.
>As for everyone making money on the system; what is wrong with that?

I think it is sleazy to make money from involuntary expirations.

It feels like finding and keeping lost property. To use a system of
"finding" is o.k., but if the owner of lost property shows up at your
whois, you don't charge him $1000 to get it back.
This is the common sleaze that registrants complain about.

Re-registration within 45 days should require explicit approval from the
last registrant.
Just a small safeguard to strengthen registrant rights and make Domain
Names that much more valuable.

-joop-

 Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.