RE: [ga] DNS Stressed From Financial Maneuverings

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [ga] DNS Stressed From Financial Maneuverings
  • From: Tim Ruiz <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 06:11:36 -0700
  • Cc: icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>, icann staff <icann-staff@xxxxxxxxx>, Paul Twomey <twomey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Other problems with it:

1. Registrars are left with the aftermath of customers not understanding
what the heck is going on when names are available, then suddenly not
available, then available again. There are already enough issues that
threaten consumer confidence in e-commerce. This practice is quickly
becoming another. We deal with these kinds of complaints on a daily
basis. ICANN knows it, the registries know it, we've made sure of that.

2. Registries are left with the need to shore up infrastructure to deal
with this practice. Just meeting the requirements for historical
storage of the data as required in their agreements has to be
significant. Bottom line is they are spending money and resources to
support an activity that benefits only a handful of entities.

Tim Ruiz

GoDaddy.com