[ga] Re: [NA-Discuss] NARALO Formation Meeting

  • To: Michael Maranda <mmaranda@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] Re: [NA-Discuss] NARALO Formation Meeting
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 19:25:00 -0700 (PDT)
  • Cc: ICANN At Large Staff <staff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, NA Discuss <na-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Michael,

I presume that the report is accurate for the
following reasons:

The Yonkers meeting is being partially sponsored by a
candidate ALS.  There is a candidate ALS based in
Yonkers -- Consumer Reports WebWatch -- see
http://alac.icann.org/namerica/applications/crw-01mar07.pdf

What is particular disturbing is that this applicant
answered "NO" to the question:  "Is your organization
constituted so that participation by individual
Internet users who are citizens or residents of
countries within the Geographic Region in which your
organization is based will predominate in your
organization's operation?"

As a "YES" answer is required by the ICANN Bylaws
(Article XI Section 2 #4i), this candidate ALS should
not, under any circumstances, be granted an accredited
ALS status,

...and to allow a candidate ALS to partially sponsor a
meeting when you know that their application should
indeed be declined is so very far from ethical that
one has to wonder as to the lengths that ICANN Staff
will go to try to ram a NARALO down our throats in
time for the upcoming San Juan session.

I have no doubt that ICANN will be highly embarrassed
by having to decline an application from this
significant entity and will direct their Staff to
lobby ALAC members to "bend the rules" with respect to
this application.

This is no longer about what the North American
community wants, this instead is all about getting a
final RALO established so that ICANN can say to the
U.S. Department of Commerce that ICANN has in place a
channel for the voices of the end user community.
It's all one big political game.  We are just the
expendable pawns in this effort.

Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.