Re: [ga] Let us try consensus/next vote?

  • To: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Let us try consensus/next vote?
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 00:02:27 -0800
  • Cc: Joop Teernstra <terastra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dr. Dierker and all,

  Agreed.  I don't see any clog on the GA list and haven't seen
anything even remotely resembling such in over 2 years now.
Capture is a real concern with Joop's voting booth.  However
that can be addressed if whomever is elected as co-chairs
has full and exclusive control of Joop's voting booth and web
site during the duration of their term...  My guess is Joop
will not find this expectable, which brings the issue back
to Capture, and affirms same...  Check and Mate...

Hugh Dierker wrote:

>    The contrary issue is Capture.
>
>   I recommend all matters remain of list, so that someone in control
> of another space/booth/list does not capture and engage in unilateral
> predestined conclusionary tactics.
>
>   I recomment the dual chair role so one group does not capture the
> lead position of the GA but rather there is balance.
>
>   I suggest consensus if possible so that logic and best arguments
> prevail over capture and personality.
>
>   A show of hands is perfectly valid for what is after all a general
> assembly.  It is the yeses and nos that are important not the actual
> definatve cast iron vote. Also it would lend a hand for leaders to
> know minority positions which may be more important than majority
> views.
>
>   Eric
>
> Joop Teernstra <terastra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>   At 04:34 a.m. 8/02/2007, hdierker wrote:
> >I suggest we just call for a show of hands as to what people want to
> elect
> >a person(s) for.
> >

> Eric,
>
> That is not a reliable or efficient method on a mailing list.
> If you wait one more day, I will put the available options on the
> Booth and
> in 6 days we will all know the answer without clogging up the GA list.
>

> >I obviously am for the co-chairs with a 6 month term and they will
> also be
> >representatives when directed to be, with their mandate to organize
> us
> >more fully and draw up some operating rules.
>
> I believe 2 equal chairs operating at the same time on a mailing list
> is a
> recipe for strife and confusion.
>
> Why not simply elect the most preferred candidate as chair and the
> runner
> up as vice chair and back-up?
> At least that way we create some continuity in the effort to organize
> the
> unrepresented.
>

> >This is my position. However I might be moved to a different position
> and
> >will certainly support other concepts if support is shown for them.
> >
> Thanks.

   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827