Re: [ga] Let us try consensus/next vote?

  • To: Joop Teernstra <terastra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Let us try consensus/next vote?
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 18:56:41 -0800 (PST)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The contrary issue is Capture.

  I recommend all matters remain of list, so that someone in control of another space/booth/list does not capture and engage in unilateral predestined conclusionary tactics.

  I recomment the dual chair role so one group does not capture the lead position of the GA but rather there is balance.

  I suggest consensus if possible so that logic and best arguments prevail over capture and personality.

  A show of hands is perfectly valid for what is after all a general assembly.  It is the yeses and nos that are important not the actual definatve cast iron vote. Also it would lend a hand for leaders to know minority positions which may be more important than majority views.

  Eric

Joop Teernstra <terastra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  At 04:34 a.m. 8/02/2007, hdierker wrote:
>I suggest we just call for a show of hands as to what people want to elect
>a person(s) for.

Eric,

That is not a reliable or efficient method on a mailing list.
If you wait one more day, I will put the available options on the Booth and
in 6 days we will all know the answer without clogging up the GA list.

>I obviously am for the co-chairs with a 6 month term and they will also be
>representatives when directed to be, with their mandate to organize us
>more fully and draw up some operating rules.

I believe 2 equal chairs operating at the same time on a mailing list is a
recipe for strife and confusion.

Why not simply elect the most preferred candidate as chair and the runner
up as vice chair and back-up?
At least that way we create some continuity in the effort to organize the
unrepresented.

>This is my position. However I might be moved to a different position and
>will certainly support other concepts if support is shown for them.

Thanks.

always stay connected to friends.