[ga] RE: is ICANN or is ICANN not?

  • To: "'Stephane Bortzmeyer'" <bortzmeyer@xxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] RE: is ICANN or is ICANN not?
  • From: "Roberto Gaetano" <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 01:19:15 +0100
  • Cc: <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> > "What should, in your opinion, IANA do in case ISO decides to
> > reallocate SU [to a different country]?"
>
> Note that it is purely theoretical since, as Elisabeth
> explained, the ISO MA committed to "no reallocation before 50
> years", after the glitch of ".cs".

I know ;>)
I was on the Board when the "glitch" happened, and it was widely discussed.
The ISO MA had no clue of what were the potential problems downstream due to
the usage of the standard. Then they decided to have ICANN onboard for this
very reason.

> Should it happen, I would say that IANA should not blindly
> follow ISO in that mistake.

Thanks, that is exactly my opinion as well.
Of course, I hope that similar cases will not happen in the future. I think
that ISO learned the lesson.

On the original issue, i.e. should .su be decommissioned, I do believe that
the answer is yes, but there is a huge problem of the existing users. We
will see what comes out from the public forum, closing today (2007-01-31).

Regards,
Roberto